Thursday 15 October 2015

Stephen Harper and My Part in His Downfall (part 6), Voting

Lineup outside the advance polling station last Monday:



I entered about 1pm, got done around 1;35, total time 35 minutes.  I was about 25th in the lineup.

They only had enough staff to process one voter at a time.  I talked to someone else who had to undergo a 1-hour wait so I can't complain.  But I will anyway since there's no reason to have to stand in line that long.  There was room for more staff and ballot boxes.  The benefits of running an effective election process should seem worth the risk involved in spending a little more every few years.  It has been postulated that a difficult voting process favours the conservative vote.  I don't know if this is true or not but I do know that the budget is controlled by the Conservative government.  Perhaps it's easier for Conservatives to get time off work to come out and vote.  

1 comment:

  1. In the USA conservatives limit the number of polling places in worker neighborhoods and find plenty of room for polling stations in upscale areas. When Republicans control a state government, there are bogus voter role purges and voting discouragement like having to have a photo ID. Alabama recently announced they were closing all of 4 state Department of Motor Vehicle offices in the state. The DMV is a source of photo IDs for those without driving permits.
    I am surprised the Liberals are leading now but at least Harper and his party are trailing.

    ReplyDelete